Deaf & Hard of Hearing Specialist
My Background Information:
- I hold a master’s degree in Education of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing and a Pennsylvania Instructional II Certification.
- I am certified by the Council on Education of the Deaf (CED).
is my 11th year servicing students with hearing loss.
Students I Serve:
- The students I serve have unique educational needs due to their hearing loss.
- Most students have amplification and/or assistive technology, including hearing aids, cochlear implants, and/or digital modulation (DM) systems.
- Travel to all the schools within the district providing instruction and consultation for students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- Assist deaf/hoh students through pre-teaching, vocabulary building, remedial work, or any other help they may need
- Ensure student’s equipment, including hearing aids, cochlear implants and/or DM systems are working properly
collaboratively with teachers regarding teaching strategies and best
practices for working with students who are deaf and hard of hearing
positive attitudes towards individuals with hearing loss within the school and
communication and linguistic development through spoken language and/or sign
- Assess audiological implications related to speech and language development
- Develop appropriate IEP goals related to skill deficits which have occurred as a result of the student's hearing loss
specialized instruction related directly to the areas of need identified by
present level of academic and functional performance
a proactive partnership with the student to develop their self-esteem and encourage
positive attitudes toward learning
staff on use of hearing assistive technology