I hope you had a healthy, happy, and relaxing Thanksgiving break! Below are some important dates and reminders for the month of December.
Inclement Weather Information for the 2021-2022 School Year
With snow beginning to appear in the forecast, it is important families have a plan in place for the possibility of a switch to remote learning, a delay in the start time for classes, or the need to dismiss students early. For information about the schedules, procedures, and communication process should the weather require a change to our regular schedule, please click here
Health & Safety Plan Update
With the potential lifting of the Acting Secretary of the Department of Health's mask Order approaching, Dr. Stoltz recently provided our school community with details regarding updates to our Health and Safety Plan. Click here
to review this information if you have not already done so. The District's Keeping Our Schools Open FAQ page and COVID Case Procedure Flow Chart have also been updated to reflect the update.
Progress Reports Due
Friday, December 3
Holiday Card Contest Deadline
Monday, December 6, 8 a.m.
We need the help of our talented students to design the District's official 2021 holiday card. Students may choose to submit an entry for art, an entry for verse, or both. The winning entries will receive a $50 gift card. Submissions are due by Monday, December 6, 2021, at 8 a.m. Complete contest details can be found online at https://bit.ly/WestShoreHoliday2021
Thursday, December 23 through Friday, December 31
Classes will resume on Monday, January 3, cycle day 5.
Cumberland Perry Area Career & Technical Center (CPACTC) Tech Talk Thursdays
Thursdays, December 2, 9, and 16, 6:30-7 pm., Zoom
, CPACTC Transition Counselor, will be hosting Tech Talk Thursdays for students and parents interested in learning more about the admission procedures and programs offered at CPACTC. Click this link
(passcode = tech) to join the meeting at any time between 6:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. to ask your questions (it's not a formal presentation). As a reminder, the deadline for early admission to CPACTC
is Friday, December 17, 2021.
Matilda Jr. The Musical
Friday, December 3 through Sunday, December 5, Red Land High School
Red Land High School will present Roald Dahl’s Matilda Jr. The Musical on Friday, December 3 and Saturday, December 4 at 7 p.m., and Sunday, December 5 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $6 for students, $10 for adults, and $10 for all tickets purchased at the door. To pre-purchase your ticket, please visit: www.showtix4u.com
Middle School Career Awareness Fair for Eighth Grade Students
Thursday, December 9, hosted by Crossroads Middle School
This event is open to students at all three middle schools and our virtual learning academy, and will be hosted by Crossroads Middle School. As students start to think about high school and their future after graduation, it is important for them to be exposed to different career possibilities. The fair provides students the opportunity to learn about a variety of careers and speak to individuals working in them. If you or your business would be interested in volunteering to participate in the event, please click here to learn more and register
(the deadline has been extended).
Thursday, December 9, 7 p.m., Highland Elementary School
Highland Elementary will present Aladdin Kids (our first ever elementary musical) on Thursday, December 9 at 7 p.m. Admission is free; however, space is limited with reserved seating for families of the cast and crew.
Donations accepted through Monday, December 20
Clothing Swap open Tuesday, January 18 through Friday, January 21, 5-8 p.m., Cedar Cliff High School Library
The staff and students at Highland Elementary and Cedar Cliff High School are partnering up to organize a Clothing Swap for all members of our school community. Donations for the swap (clean blankets, clothing, and shoes) will be accepted through December 20, and can be dropped off at either school during school hours. Click here to learn more
West Shore Ski Club
Monday, January 3 through Friday, February 11, Ski Roundtop
The West Shore Ski Club is open to all District students ages 7-18 who are interested in skiing or snowboarding at Ski Roundtop. This is a five week Ski Club program with designated days one time per week. For additional details, click here
. The deadline to register is December 3, 2021.
School Board Meetings
All meetings are held at the Administration Center for Education and open to the public. For information about in person and remote attendance, public and electronic comments, and meeting accommodations, please click here
. At this time, masks are required for in person attendance.
School Board Reorganization Meeting
Thursday, December 2, 2021, 6 p.m.
During the Reorganization Meeting, newly elected and re-elected board members are sworn in and a Board President and Vice President are elected.
School Board Meeting
Thursday, December 16, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
- Watch Meetings Online - meetings are streamed live and archived for viewing after the meeting
- On Board – online newsletter providing a summary of Board discussions, relevant links, and photos from Board meetings
- Board Agendas - published 24 hours before the meeting
- Board Minutes - posted after Board approval
- Breakfast and Lunch Menus - The District was impacted by global supply chain issues and a recent fire at the manufacturing plant which supplies toner to our Print Shop copiers. As a result, we are not printing menus for elementary students at this time. Meal and nutritional information can be found on our website.
- District COVID-19 Tracker - Updated each day school is in session.
- Keeping Our Schools Open - Health & Safety Information and FAQs
- Parent Portal - with links to our Primary Math Parent Academy Resources, Tech Help Center, Learning Platform FAQs, and Parent Forms and Resources
Join Our Team
If you are interested in joining our team, we would love to meet you! We currently have a variety of immediate openings.
- The District is seeking teachers, building aides, secretaries, paraprofessionals, food service staff, technology department technicians, and custodial/maintenance team members. We also have a NEW Occasional Support Substitute Position! If you are looking for a flexible schedule and would like to work just 1-2 days per week, we encourage you to apply for the Occasional Support Substitute Position. Based on interest and District needs, substitutes would assist in multiple facets of district operations. To learn more about any of these positions, check out our employment page.
- Substitute Teacher Service, Inc. (STS), the District's substitute teacher contractor, is also hiring. You can work as little or as much as you would like as a substitute teacher in West Shore. You do not need a teaching certificate to become a substitute, just a four-year degree. To find out more or apply, please visit thesubservice.com.
- First Student, the District’s transportation contractor, also has immediate openings for part-time bus and van drivers. To learn more, please call 717-938-8788.
I hope you were able to easily access the links above and found the information included this month helpful. For additional building specific events and cycle days, please refer to the District’s online calendar
Coordinator of Community Relations