A brief summary of the topics presented and information shared during discussion is provided below.
Dr. Stoltz highlighted information from the tentative budget approved at the May 5th Board meeting. The budget includes an increase in taxes to the amount allowed under the Act 1 index (2.4%), and the District applied for and received approval for additional increases using exceptions. Dr. Stoltz explained that the budget can change before final ratification, which must take place on or before June 30, 2016. Changes might result due to budget refinements, such as our fuel bid pricing and other unknown pieces related to State action, such as PlanCon reimbursements.
In other related information, Dr. Stoltz highlighted Capital improvement projects, including $3.7M for the Red Land High School boiler replacement and approximately $2M for renovations at the West Shore Stadium.
Active Shooter Drill
Dr. Stoltz shared information from the active shooter drill conducted on April 29th. The drill was conducted safely and without injuries. The drill was very intense for students and staff who took active parts in the event. Overall, everyone was pleased with the information garnered from this exercise, and the support of local agencies was phenomenal. In addition to first responders, law enforcement, etc., 40-50 observers from schools and other agencies attended. Refinements to our safety procedures will be made based on outcomes of the drill.
The District will be conducting a Feasibility Study, which will address many issues. The study will take approximately 6 months to complete, and it will look at not only projected enrollment figures but also the status of our current facilities.
- Graduation will take place at the PA Farm Show Complex.
- Stage and decorations will be in place to provide a more intimate setting.
- Dr. Stoltz will be taking a look into District graduation requirements
- May consider adding a ‘Personal Finance’ course
- May consider having each graduate participate in a 3-5 minute exit interview
- Scholarship Discussion
- Both High School Guidance Department websites contain valuable information regarding a wide variety of scholarship opportunities
- College in the High School courses are offered
Keystones, Textbooks, and Math Updates
- Keystone exams will be taking place the week of May 16th in Algebra I, Biology, and 10th grade English
- Keystone graduation requirements are on hold
- Textbook adoption for Grade 3-5 Language arts – Benchmark Literacy
- Middle schools will be using digital resources for science – Science Fusion
- Administration will be adjusting math progression options at the middle level