Benchmark Literacy is a research-proven reading program that is aligned to new State Standards and empowers both experienced teachers and beginning teachers to provide high-quality core reading instruction. The program includes:
- 30 weeks of explicit comprehension-focused lessons for the whole class, small groups, and intervention
- Assessment-driven instruction that is differentiated and includes responding to text
- Gradual release and built-in choice that support student progress and teacher creativity
- Precisely leveled texts for your full range of students, including ELs and striving readers
- Leveled Reader's Theater and diverse genres that engage students and extend learning
- Research-based resources and professional development that have been proven effective
- Interactive technology that motivates student learning, involvement, and excellence
Benchmark Literacy places a strong emphasis on reading comprehension and supports all of the daily components of high-quality reading instruction such as:
The Assessment Toolkit gives each teacher the formal and informal assessments needed to determine instructional needs and evaluate ongoing progress.
Interactive Read-Aloud Strategies
Benchmark Literacy's Teacher's Resource Systems provide read-aloud lessons and suggestions for trade books to use when modeling metacognitive strategies.
Whole Group Mini-Lessons
Big books, mentor texts on posters, and leveled Reader's Theater scripts provide the contexts for modeling and teaching literacy strategies and skills.
Differentiated Small-Group/Guided Reading
Precisely leveled texts introduce fiction and nonfiction text features developmentally, enabling students to practice and apply strategies they are learning.
While the teacher provides small-group instruction, other students in the class are reading fiction or nonfiction titles, or practicing fluency passages.
Phonics and Word Study
Explicit lessons and hands-on tools provide systematic instruction that builds developmentally and teaches students our language and its components.
Engage students with shared writing experiences, help to establish the reading/writing connection, and provide opportunities for constructed response.
From product in-services to job-embedded coaching, train-the-trainer modules and webinars, customized training accelerates and supports implementation.
Interactive whiteboard resources, e-books, online assessments, and a free teacher resource site facilitate instruction and make it engaging.