Hello, Red Mill!
The new year is nearly upon us! It was exciting to welcome our incoming Kindergarten class in early August as part of Camp Kindergarten! We now excitedly await the remainder of our students and their families! Below, please find important dates/information pertaining to the first few weeks of school.
- 8/23, 6:30 PM- New Family Orientation (detailed information can be found below)
- 8/24, 6:30 PM- Kindergarten & First Grade Back to School Night
- 8/29- First day of school for students
- 9/5- NO SCHOOL
- 9/7, 6:30 PM- Grades 2-5 Back to School Night
- 9/12, 6:30 PM- PTO Meeting and Title 1 DAC Update (Red Mill Library)
- 9/26- Fall Pictures
- 10/3, 6:30 PM- PTO meeting (Red Mill Library)
- 10/4, 6:00 PM- PTO Skating Party at Fountainblu
Mr. Scharlau (our new Assistant Principal) is officially here and has begun his West Shore SD career! Welcome aboard, Mr. Scharlau– we are excited to have you with us! Please feel free to introduce yourself and connect with him at one of our upcoming events.
In addition to Mr. Scharlau, we also welcomed a few other members onto our Red Mill team…
- Mrs. Kelsie Whitten: Mrs. Whitten is the newest member of our first grade team. Mrs. Whitten comes to us from East Pennsboro Area SD where she served for 8 years as a first grade teacher.
- Ms. Kate Bright: Ms. Bright is our new music teacher. Ms. Bright was formerly a music teacher at Lincoln Charter School where she taught for 17 years.
- Mrs. Jess Noll: Mrs. Noll will be teaming with Mrs. Milewski as our newest Speech & Language Clinician. Mrs. Noll has been a clinician with the WSSD and is entering her 15th year.
- Mrs. Rachel Craley: Mrs. Craley will be serving as our newest para-professional in special education. Mrs. Craley helped support our building last school year and is a very active member of our Red Mill community.
Please join me in welcoming all of our new team members!
From our PTO
Please consider coming to our first PTO meeting (noted above). During this meeting, Mrs. Cibulka & Mrs. Konieczny (our Literacy Specialists), will be highlighting what Title 1 is and how it applies to us at Red Mill. Also, don’t forget to make plans to attend our first PTO student event at Fountainblu! We hope to see you at both evenings!
New Family Orientation
Our New Family Orientation will take place on 8/23, beginning at 6:30 PM here at Red Mill. This orientation is designed for any family who is new to the district (non-kindergarten families). We will begin by meeting as an entire group in the cafeteria. While there, we will be sharing general information related to Red Mill and the West Shore School District as a whole. Following the informational session, a brief guided tour will be provided to families.
We invite both parents/guardians and their respective student(s) to attend this event. This event was not intended to replace the Back to School Nights. We encourage our new families to also attend the BTSNs as they will provide specific, detailed information regarding your student(s) classroom.
Back to School Nights
Both of these evenings are designed to give parents/guardians valuable information related to the upcoming school year. Teachers will have presentations prepared to update and inform parents/guardians of what can be expected this coming year. We will make multiple announcements throughout the evening and set up rotations so that parents/guardians with students in multiple classrooms can attend each of the informational sessions. Both of these evenings are geared towards adults.
We will be providing monthly updates to our families via email and Seesaw at the conclusion of each month. We certainly hope to see many of our families at PTO meetings and outside events! On a regular basis, we will be providing a glimpse into the day-to-day happenings here at Red Mill through both Instagram and Twitter (@RMDolphins). Please consider giving us a follow!
We look forward to a successful, fun, and enjoyable school year! If you have any questions throughout the year, please don’t hesitate to contact our office. We are excited to partner with you!
Ryan P. Deveney
Principal, Red Mill Elementary School