Listed below you will find important reminders and dates for the month of October.
Friday, October 9 and Monday, October 12
Phase 2 of the District's Reopening Plan Begins
Tuesday, October 13
On September 29, families were sent information regarding the Phase 2 option they chose for their child(ren). Prior to January, requests for changes to your child’s learning option will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Bus Schedules: As the District reopens to more students, we ask for your patience in regards to transportation. As new bus routines are established the extra care being taken by our drivers could result in delays at pick up and drop off. To help things run smoothly, please take a few moments to review bus information with your child. Bus numbers, stop locations, and stop times can be found by logging into PowerSchool online (bus information is not able to be posted in the PowerSchool app).
- Welcome Letters: Elementary and middle school students and their families will receive a welcome letter by Friday, October 9, 2020. This message will be sent to K-8 families to confirm their child’s teacher(s). At the high school level, we do not anticipate any changes to the student schedules.
- Monitoring Student and Staff Health: If our schools are to remain open for in person instruction, it is critical for everyone to monitor their health and remain home if they are sick. As a District, we will assume each child who gets on a bus or walks into a school building is feeling well and not displaying any symptoms of illness. Please visit https://www.wssd.k12.pa.us/ReturnFAQ.aspx for information that will assist your family in self-screening and determining if it is appropriate to come to school.
- Answers to Frequently asked Questions: New information continues to be added to our website including answers to questions regarding Phase 2. Please visit https://www.wssd.k12.pa.us/ReturntoSchool.aspx.
Last Day of the First Marking Period
Wednesday, October 28
DID YOU KNOW?
Exciting Changes to our Breakfast and Lunch Program
Until further notice, breakfast and lunch will be served for free this school year. Thanks to changes in regulations, students who are returning for in person instruction the week of October 13, and those who are continuing to work remotely with Distance Learning 2.0, can receive meals at no cost to their families. No action is needed for your child to participate. For additional information, please click here.
SCHOOL BOARD MEETINGS
Following recommendations to limit group gatherings, board meetings are currently not open for public attendance. Public participation is still welcome and encouraged via email and through our live stream. Details can be found on our website, click here.
Upcoming Board Meetings
October 8, 2020, 6:30 p.m.
October 15, 2020, 6:30 p.m.
- Watch Meetings Online - meetings are streamed live and archived for viewing after the meeting
- On Board – online newsletter providing a summary of Board discussions, relevant links, and photos from Board meetings
- Board Agendas - published 24 hours before the meeting
- Board Minutes - posted after Board approval
West Shore Foundation Virtual Gala
Saturday, October 17
The West Shore Foundation provides financial support for the enrichment of Academics, Arts, Athletics, Technology, and Leadership in the West Shore School District. The Gala, with its silent auction and special performances, is one way the Foundation raises funds to support these efforts. Click here check out the Foundation’s new website and details about the 5th Annual Gala.
I hope you were able to easily access the links above and found the information included this month helpful. For additional building specific events and cycle days, please refer to the District’s online calendar.
Have a great evening.
Coordinator of Community Relations