1. Mental illness does not strike the "average person."
2. Children do not suffer from mental disorders.
3. Mental illness is not a serious health problem today.
4. Most people with a mental illness are receiving treatment.
5. Mental illness is not like other "Physical" diseases.
6. Mental illness and mental retardation are very much alike.
7. People with Schizophrenia have split or multiple personalities.
8. People with a mental illness are dangerous and capable of violence.
9. Most people who are mentally ill live in mental hospitals or on the streets.
10. People who talk about suicide rarely commit suicide.
11. Persons with a mental illness cannot achieve full recovery.
12. Mentally ill people can not lead productive lives.
There are many misconceptions about the diseases which are defined as mental illness. One of those misconceptions is the idea that all people who are mentally ill suffer from the same illness. Actually, some of the diseases that are identified as mental illness are disorders of the brain while others are more emotional illnesses based on the individual's ability to cope with the stresses of life.
1. Mental illness can strike anyone at anytime.
2. 12 million children suffer from mental disorders such as Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism and Depression.
3. More hospital beds are occupied by persons with a mental illness than persons with cancer, heart disease and diabetes combined.
4. Only 1 in 5 persons affected with a mental illness seeks treatment.
5. Mental illnesses are biologically-based brain diseases and can be effectively treated with medications.
6. Both are devastating afflictions but are completely different and should not be confused.
7. Schizophrenia is a chemical imbalance of the brain and persons with it do not have split or multiple personalities.
8. Although stereotyped and feared as violent, most people with a mental illness are passive and withdrawn.
9. 60% of persons with mental illness live at home with their families.
10. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among children and the fifth leading cause of death among adults.
11. Mental illness can be successfully treated with therapy and/or medication.
12. People with a mental illness who are properly treated can live full, enjoyable and productive lives.