Summer Office Hours
For an eight-week period from June 11 – August 3, all District schools and the Administration Center for Education will be open Monday through Thursday and closed on Fridays. In addition, District offices will be closed July 4 in honor of Independence Day. 

The Administration Center for Education will be open to the public from 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Hours at the individual schools will vary. Due to limited office staff during this time, please contact the school to confirm someone will be available to assist you when planning your visit.  Click here for a phone directory. 

Pupil Services

Students and families sometimes face issues that become barriers to students attending school regularly as well as to success in school. Providing the assistance and supports to student and families as a means of overcoming these barriers is the responsibility of the Pupil Services Department.
School Counseling
The goal of the school counselor is to assist our students in acquiring and maintaining attitudes, knowledge and skills that promote effective learning in school and success throughout life. School Counselors serve students in large group, small group and individual settings, addressing academic concerns as well as personal and behavioral issues.

Both District high schools have four counselors, one assigned to each grade level as well as a counselor who provides more intensive students thought to be at-risk for school success. Each of the four District middle schools has at least one school counselor as well as a counselor for “at-risk” students. At the elementary level, the larger buildings have a dedicated counselor, while our smaller buildings share a counselor. A half-time counselor is assigned to the District Alternative Education program.

Click here for resources parents may find helpful in dealing with issues related to grief, fear, and confusion in children following a tragedy. 

School Social Work Services
The District provides Social Work Services to assist students and families with accessing community based services as a way of meeting their basic needs, including food, shelter and medical care.  In addition, Social Workers have been instrumental in working with families to ensure students attend school on a regular basis. For more information, please contact your child’s school counselor who will assist you in making a referral.

Work Permits
Students needing a work permit who are in home education programs or attending a cyber or charter school should contact Mrs. Denise Bernatos at the Administration Center, 938-9577, ext.289 to make an appointment to complete necessary paperwork. All other students should contact their high school (based on their home address) for a work permit.


Tom Burnheimer
Thomas Burnheimer
Director of Pupil Services
© 2018. West Shore School District. All Rights Reserved.
School CMS Created by eSchoolView
Site Map
View text-based website