I hope that all of you are having a great school year! Very soon many of you will begin settling into your summer schedules. To assist you with your summer planning is a copy of the 2018-2019 Support Staff in-service booklet. This booklet was developed based on both district goals and your feedback. While browsing through the booklet, please notice the arrangement of academies by areas of focus:
- Curricular Support/Job Performance
- Health & Wellness
The principle behind developing the “Connecting Pathways” booklet is to offer you the opportunity to select the in-service session(s) you would like to attend that would best suit your needs.
We are excited to offer some new Eduplanet21 courses this summer for paraprofessionals and aides who support student instruction. No membership code is needed to enroll in a learning path this year. The learning paths can be accessed by clicking on Institutes, and then selecting WSSD under My Institutes. Every cataloged learning path available this summer will be listed. Simply click on the learning path to enroll.
Support staff may opt to select a summer academy from the professional staff development program if space is available.
The session(s) you are planning to attend should come close to the length of your regular workday. A thirty (30) minute leeway will be granted. For example, a 7.5 hour employee can take a combination of sessions to equal 7 hours. Note: If it is challenging for some of you to equal the number of hours you need to fulfill summer professional development because of the timing of the workshops, please choose 2 sessions that best fit your professional needs rather than trying to
be within the half-hour leeway. You may personally choose to attend longer sessions but will not receive monetary reimbursement for those, unless otherwise indicated. Additionally, credit will not be extended for workshops previously attended (does not apply to CPR or Safe Crisis Management).
Please follow the information below for completing your selection(s):
- Peruse the booklet, determine which session(s) you would like to attend, discuss your choice(s) with your supervisor and complete the worksheet (included in the booklet and available to be downloaded below).
- Please make sure to accurately complete the form with activity #, title of academy, date, length of academy (hours), and check the boxes if you wish to attend your 2nd and/or 3rd choice academies. This is important so we know exactly the session’s staff plan to attend and we do not max out the number of allowable participants.
- The completed worksheet must be given to your immediate supervisor for approval no later than May 14, 2018. Principals/Supervisors will then forward the worksheet to the Assistant Superintendent by May 17th for scheduling and final approval. After all scheduling is complete you will receive an approved copy of the worksheet.
- Special Education paraprofessionals should take note of the sessions that count towards their Special Education 20 hour requirement from PDE. Each year, the District provides special education paraprofessionals 20 hours of professional development related to their jobs between July 1 and June 30 of the following year.
- At each session, you will sign in to verify attendance. After the session, we ask that you complete an evaluation to give you the opportunity to provide feedback regarding the inservice. A link to the evaluation form will be provided on the staff website for easy access.
PLEASE NOTE: August 31st is an early dismissal day. Paraprofessionals, Library Aides, Reading Aides, ELL Aides, Assistant School Nurses and Health Room Nurses have the option to complete a half-day Eduplanet path this summer and leave with the students on August 31st. The path for August 31st must be completed by August 17th. You may also choose to stay on-site August 31st to complete the path. Building secretaries will collect certificates of completion. You will be responsible for handing in your certificate to the building secretary when you return to school. For academies held at the Administration Center for Education (ACE), please park at the rear of Crossroads Middle School. Do not park in front of ACE or in assigned spaces please. Should you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Jamie A. Whye, Ed.D.