The meet vs. Northern has been rescheduled to 9/24, still at home at 4:00pm.
Welcome to the Red Land Cross Country Program. My name is Matt
Fisher. I am Middle School Cross Country coach for the Red Land team,
which encompasses students from Crossroads and Allen middle schools who
live within the Red Land attendance area. Our program
is focused on personal fitness and growth of each individual. My
personal philosophy is that every person is designed to be an athlete
and each individual should pursue their own athletic goals in a manner
that contributes to their own personal mental and
physical health. Our coaches encourage runners to set their own goals
and to compete with themselves, aiming for personal improvement and
growth. Every practice allows for a range of activities, so all runners
can be challenged appropriately. We reward athletes
efforts to improve themselves and to encourage others.
Here are a few things you should know or do:
1. Remind. Parents and Runners - please join the Red Land Middle School Cross Country Remind. This allows me to send texts to everyone at once to report things like weather delays, cancelled practices, meet changes, and arrival times back from away meets. Do so by texting @rlx to 81010. Make sure to include the @ symbol and input 81010 in the send to field, as if it's a phone number.
2. Summer practices will begin on June 18th at Red Land.
Summer practices are not mandated, but most middle school athletes are
not prepared to run in meets without a base of fitness. So, we encourage
all runners to attend summer practices whenever
possible. Th high school coaches run some practices in the summer as
well. Larry Kell has been the high school head coach since the 1980s and
is a retired Red Land teacher. Mike Zwatty (high school assistant
coach) is a long time Red Land coach, current teacher,
and elite runner. Here is the summer schedule for each week:
Monday - Weight training in the Red Land weight room from 5:15-6:00 and practice at 6:00 with Coach Kell and Coach Fisher
Tuesday - Trail Run starting at 6:00 at the Conewago Day Use area of Gifford Pinchot State Park with Coach Zwatty
Wednesday - Regular Practice at 6:00 at Red Land with Coach Fisher
Thursday - Weight training in the Red Land weight room from 5:15-6:00 and practice at 6:00 with Coach Kell
Friday - Regular Practice at 6:00 at Red Land with Coach Zwatty
I will send emails or remind texts for days that summer practice is cancelled, due to weather or unavailability of coaches.
3. Physicals. All runners must obtain a Physical Packet
(available from me at practice) and must receive a physical dated AFTER
June 1, 2018. Dr. Cox will offer physicals for $30 cash, starting at 8am
on August 2 at Red Cedar Family Practice, 689
Yorktown Road, Lewisberry, PA 17339-925. He obtains several friends
(doctors and nurses) to quickly process a large number of West Shore
athletes with cost and time efficiency. I suggest an early arrival.
There will be a long line, but it moves astonishingly
4. Meets. I do not yet have a schedule of middle school meets. I will receive it sometime during the summer and will add some invitationals as well. Most middle school meets are usually on Wednesdays at 4:00 or 4:30 pm, either at Red Land or at other local schools cross country courses. I'll send Remind texts and emails to keep you informed about weekly meets. Transportation to and from regular weekday away meets involves a process of picking me up with coolers and equipment at Red Land, doing a pick up at the BACK of Crossroads MS, and a pick up at the Gettysburg Road side of Allen MS. This means that students will miss the end of the school day a few times, depending on how many away meets are scheduled. I'll let them know pick up times the day before each meet, so they know when they'll be dismissed from class. The team usually stops for dinner on the way home from away meets. I will send a Remind text clarifying our arrival time at the BACK entrance of Red Land. We do not drop off at each middle school when returning from meets. Again, we'll return to the back of Red Land (it was the front last year, so this is a slight change). The few invitationals that we have will have early morning departures from the back of Red Land on Saturdays. Return times will vary. Parents are encouraged to attend meets, if possible.
5. After School Practices. Students will take the Red Land Sports Bus from middle schools to Red Land for practice each day. I don't have information about when that bus will depart from middle schools, because it is dependent on the availability of drivers who also have regular school routes to drive. After the first few practices, we'll establish an approximate end time and I'll send a Remind text if we are done early, running late, or delayed by weather or transportation.
Here is our schedule of regular season meets for the 2018 season.
The Invitationals we will attend this year are
- Ben Bloser Invitational at Big Spring HS, September 15
- Lower Dauphin Race of Champions at LDHS, October 6
- Carlisle Meet of Champions, at Carlisle HS, October 20