purpose of general music class is to expose students to a wealth of
information regarding the fundamentals of music, how music is created,
various genres of music and the relationship of music to other cultures
and curricular areas. Keeping in line with the Pennsylvania Benchmarks
and National Music Standards . Knowing that most students who have an
interest in performing music are already part of band, chorus or
orchestra, this course will allow all students to try their best at
making music, knowing that performance quality music and near perfection
in not what is expected.
Students in 7th grade will be guided
through developing their skills through reading, writing, playing and
singing music, developing musical skills on various instruments
including piano and keyboard, percussion, guitar, and rhythm
instruments, write and perform their own compositions through the use of
technology, discover various careers in music, and learn about the
different styles of American Popular Music.
each unit of study, students will have reading material along with
worksheets. Worksheets will be graded using one point per question.
All worksheets are due the next school day. Students will also have a
quiz at the end of each unit. A study guide will be given at least 2
days before each quiz. Quizzes will also be graded using one point per
question. Students will also be expected to to keep a musical journal
where they will write answers to thought provoking questions or
responses and reactions to various pieces of music. There will also be
one long term research project which will utilize the computer laptops
in some aspect. For example, students may research a famous American
music artist and put together a multimedia presentation for the teacher
and class. No grades will be weighted. All late work may be turned in
for full credit!
Extra credit will only be offered to a student provided only if a student has completed all homework.
- Be on time - tardies without a pass will be reported to the office.
- Be prepared - bring your notebook and a writing utensil everyday. Remember to bring your homework when it is due.
- Be respectful - treat your teacher and other students the way you would like to be treated at all times
- Be enthusiastic - participate in class. Music class can only be as much fun as YOU allow it to be.
- Be neat - keep the room neat and tidy at all times. Put things back where you found them.
careful - the instruments and other materials used during class are
school property and are to be treated as a texts. If any of the
materials are damaged or destroyed, the student will be expected to pay
for the replacement.
- Be mature - again mature and positive behavior is expected at all times.
- Be gum free - no gum is allowed in Lemoyne Middle School.
failing to follow any of these expectations will be disciplined in
accordance with the Lemoyne Middle School Student Handbook.