Before reading the selection you need to:
1- Read the title and predict what story is about.
2- Text Walk: (if you locate one of the below, you must read the paragraph it is in)
- Look at pictures
- Look for bold words
- Look for underlined words
- Slanted words
- Words in all capitals
3- Read the test questions and answers. (This helps you gain more information about the story before you even read it.)
4- Read the story:
- Highlight, underline, or take notes right in the story for possible test answers.
5- Answer the questions:
- Cross-out wrong answers
- Put a dot next to possible answer
- Prove answers in text if possible
6- Essay question:
- Restate prompt
- Keep response organized in paragraphs (Intro, details, conclusion)
- Proofread response to make sure you answered question completely
- If they ask for two details or examples, make sure you have at least two paragraphs. If they ask for three details or examples, you need at least three paragraphs.
7- Make sure you answered every question.