In a few short months, many of you will begin settling into your summer schedules. To assist you with your summer planning is a copy of the 2017-2018 Support Staff in-service booklet. This booklet was developed based on both district goals and your feedback. While browsing through the booklet, please notice the arrangement of academies by areas of focus:
- Curricular Support/Job Performance
- Health & Wellness
The principle behind developing the “Connecting Pathways” booklet is to offer you the opportunity to select the in-service session(s) you would like to attend that would best suit your needs.
We are excited to offer more Eduplanet21 courses this summer for paraprofessionals and aides who support student instruction. No membership code is needed to enroll in a learning path this year. The learning paths can be accessed by clicking on Institutes, and then selecting WSSD under My Institutes. Every cataloged learning path available this summer will be listed. Simply click on the learning path to enroll.
The session(s) you are planning to attend must minimally equal the length of your regular workday. A thirty (30) minute leeway will be granted. For example, a 7.5 hour employee can take a combination of sessions to equal 7 hours. You may personally choose to attend longer sessions but will not receive monetary reimbursement for those, unless otherwise indicated. Additionally, credit will not be extended for workshops previously attended (does not apply to CPR or Safe Crisis Management).
Please follow the information below for completing your selection(s):
- Peruse the booklet, determine which session(s) you would like to attend, discuss your choice(s) with your supervisor and complete the worksheet. Please make sure to accurately complete the form with activity #, title of academy, date, length of academy (hours), and check the boxes if you wish to attend 2nd and/or 3rd choice academies. This is important so we know exactly what sessions staff plan to attend and we do not max out the number of allowable participants. The completed worksheet must be given to your immediate supervisor for approval no later than May 12, 2017. He/She will then forward it to the Assistant Superintendent for scheduling and final approval. After all scheduling is complete you will receive your pink copy of the worksheet.
- Special Education paraprofessionals should take note of the sessions that count towards their Special Education 20 hour requirement. Each year, the District provides special education paraprofessionals 20 hours of professional development related to their jobs between July 1 and June 30 of the following year. Special Education paraprofessionals are encouraged to attend at least five hours of professional development in July and August, to ensure completion of these hours.
- Hourly employees will complete a time sheet for attendance at the in-service session and return it to their immediate supervisor for signature. The building secretaries will have blank time sheets available for staff. Year round employees will simply note the time at an academy on their regular time sheet. No need to complete a supplemental time sheet.
- At each session, you will sign in to verify attendance. After the session, we ask that you complete an evaluation to give you the opportunity to provide feedback regarding the in-service. A link to the evaluation form will be provided on the staff website for easy access.
For academies held at the Administration Center for Education (ACE), please park at the rear of Crossroads Middle School. Do not park in front of ACE or in assigned spaces please.
Should you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Jamie A. Whye, Ed.D., Assistant Superintendent