May Civics Facts Internet Hunt
Directions: Use the links provided to find the answers to the questions. Use Go, in the menu bar of your browser, to return to this page. (Go is in the menu at the top of your screen, above the browser window) Notice how it lists all the pages you have visited backwards. Use Go to jump back many pages without clicking the Back button over and over and over. Getting back tips
1. On May 5, 1961, Alan Shepard, Jr. became the first American to do something that has made him a national hero. What did he do? Research the answer.
2. A) What is the Congressional Medal of Honor?
B) How many people from our country recieved it?
C) How many of those people from your state recieved it?
3. A) On the last Monday in May, we celebrate Memorial Day. Which war's soldiers did the holiday originally honor?
B) Who do we honor each Memorial Day now?
C) How does your community recognize the day? Select a way to observe Memorial Day.
4. If you attend a Memorial Day ceremony you will probably hear the song "Taps" played. How was that song used when it was first written?
5. Some folks think kids today do not know much about the official national anthem of the United States.
A) The title of the song:
B) Who wrote it?
C) How many verses are there?
D) Describe the events surrounding it being written.
E) What should you do when it is played?
Use your online research skills to find the answers.
6. Learn about Arlington National Cemetery through their web site. (Find the web site)
A) Where is the cemetery located?
B) Who owned this land before it became a cemetery?
C) What is the "The Old Guard"?
D) What is their role at Arlington National Cemetery?
7. Anna Jarvis worked very hard to get an official Mother's Day holiday.
After she was successful, how did she feel about how the holiday was recognized?
8. What do Leon Czolgosz, Lee Oswald, John Booth, and Charles Guiteau all have in common?
9. On May 9, 1913, the 17th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified.
A) What change(s) did it bring?
B) Has this been a positive change?
10. How many U.S. casualties of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War are from your state?
11. Who is awarded a Purple Heart? The Purple Heart enrichment